Monday, March 22, 2010

Bench Dedication and Florida

Last week my family went down to Full Sail School which Tony was a month shy of graduating from before he passed away.  This school meant a great deal to Tony.  He LOVED it and the profession he was learning.  He would get so excited about projects and his future.  Tony's birthday was March 9th.  In honor of his birthday we bought a bench which was dedicated to Tony and placed on the back lot of the school.  This is where the students make their films and spend a big chunk of their time.

 
When we showed up I was only expecting the head of the film department and maybe one or two others to show us where they placed the bench.  Due to the rain, they had the bench placed on a sound stage with some very dramatic lighting and a photo of Tony placed on the seat of the bench.  The room was filled with the entire film department staff and the founder of the school.  I was brought to tears to see how much this meant to the school.  They were kind, sympathetic and shared stories of Tony's days in their classes.


They spoke of Tony and had a moment of silence.  One of Tony's classmates was still in the area and came to document it so he could share it with Tony's other classmates.  After thanking the shool, I asked if I could see where the bench would be placed.  The founder and another gentleman carried the bench, in the rain to its new home.  There are plans to landscape the surroundings around the bench and make it a permanent fixture on the back lot.  It is an amazing thought to know that Tony's memory will be around the school forever and may even end up in a movie or two!

It was a wonderful way for us to honor Tony and his memory on his birthday.  It was a sad, but beautiful event.  I could have stayed and sat on the bench for hours.  The rain had other plans for us.  The school invited me down whenever I want.  I have a feeling I will be visiting again.

I was worried that this trip might be surrounded by a cloud.  It was just the opposite.  We had so much fun as a family.  We crammed so much into a short amount of time.  Animal Kingdom in the rain, a Slueths Murder Mystery Dinner, The Titanic Experience, one of the best dinning experiences I have ever had at The Capital Grille, dueling pianos in our hotel bar, Universal Studios, Gatorland, Old Town, Go-Karts, sushi at Moon Fish, and mini golf. The rain didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves and our canceled flight home gave us to more days with sunshine to create some great memories.

We laughed and sang and enjoyed each others company.  Tony would have been proud.  I missed him so much, at one point I turned around at the elevator and thought "Where's Tony?".  A calm came over me and I knew we were going to be okay, that our love would help us get through the tough times and that no matter what we would always be there for each other.  It is a wonderful feeling to be able to have your family surround each other with unconditional love, support and humor.  Tony, We all love you, miss you and cherish your all. the memories we shared with you.  We will continue to honor your memory with love, laughter and shared stories.